Throughout history, there have been many disconnects among mankind. In today’s world, it is easier than ever to see the world from another’s eyes. With connection at our fingertips, we can see the worst and best in those around us. Sometimes, it is easy to get lost in only finding the differences, but it’s important to see the ways we are the same too. With the ability to talk to one another so casually, we can forget to do it at all. Scrolling through news articles and social media, seeing the bad more than the good, and turning our backs on one another.
It is necessary that we remember that we are not alone. There are others around us and with the hope of a post-covid world, it is important now more than ever to reach out. Stop seeing sides and come together for a brighter future. The promise of more is out there and we have the power to achieve it.
What do I mean by coming together? Well, it can manifest in a lot of ways. Connecting with someone can be as easy as smiling at the stressed-out cashier in the grocery store or as time-consuming as volunteering for a nonprofit.
Our cultures may differ, but at the center of it, we are all human. Capable of spreading love and of sowing hate, creating and destroying, understanding and distrusting. Being a part of society can be hard and dealing with others – even harder. This life is everchanging and with it, come many challenges, but ones we all face. Difficulties that can be lessened with kindness and connection.
Ways to sow kindness and connect!
- Reach out to a friend (old or new!) online or in person to just chat about life. Sometimes, a little small talk is all you need.
- Join a class, club, or group in your area, think of; flower clubs, chess clubs, woodworking groups, softball/sports teams, painting classes, music lessons, cooking clubs.
- Head out to a local event and look around. With the start of summer, comes the reemergence of the farmers markets, fairs, festivals, craft shows, and live music outings. Don’t feel comfortable in crowds yet? Most events are now available virtual as well!
- Read a book or listen to a podcast about a subject you may be bias about – learning more about the way we perceive the world and how others view it, can really challenge your beliefs!
- Support a small business or artist! This puts the money back in your community and can really help the owners thrive as well.
I get it, coming back into the world and joining civilization after a year in hibernation can really take a lot out of you. Especially with the uncertainty and chaos of moving forward, but together, we got this!